Full-time Students

A full-time student is one carrying a minimum of twelve credit hours per semester in the day programs. In the case of the evening program, this status is given to a student taking the maximum number of available courses required by the M.R.S. program during that term.

Transfer Students

Students transferring from other recognized graduate institutions may schedule an appointment with the Academic office for the purpose of transferring credits earned in courses parallel to those prescribed by WRS. The final determination will be made by the Administration in consultation with the relevant Department Chairmen on the basis of the student’s transcript, his previous institution’s catalog, and the caliber of his work after one semester at WRS.

M.Div./B.D./M.R.E. candidates must spend no less than two full semesters (32 credit hours) in residence, M.B.S./M.T.S./M.C.M. candidates no less than 24 credit hours in residence, and M.R.S. candidates no less than 10 credit hours in residence in order to be eligible for their respective degrees.

Special Students

A special student is one not seeking a seminary degree. This category of students includes auditors and those taking a few select courses for personal enrichment.


Students not seeking academic credit may enroll in any number of courses with few exceptions: conversational language classes may not be audited and degree students may not audit propaedeutic classes required for their programs. A transcript will be kept for the auditor indicating that regular class attendance was maintained. Privileges include class attendance and participation in discussions, acquisition of class materials, and full use of the library.

Foreign Students

Western Reformed Seminary is recognized by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement as an academic school approved for issuing F-1 student visa applications. By law, a non-resident foreign student seeking admission to WRS must be able to document proof of his personal financial support (and his or her immediate family’s support if family members accompany him or her) while in the U.S. This documentation will be submitted to the student’s American consulate when applying for a student visa. Forms to apply for a student visa will be supplied by WRS after the enrollment application and fee are received.

Foreign students making application from countries whose mother tongue is not English must document their fluency in English. This may be done by means of submitting the results of a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination to the Registrar or by a letter of commendation from an English-speaking acquaintance whom the Seminary would recognize as being capable of evaluating the student’s level of proficiency. Some foreign students may be admitted to WRS on a one year probationary basis dependent on their level of achievement and progress in use of the English language.

Preliminary Tests

M.Div., B.D., M.R.E., and M.B.S. candidates are encouraged to acquire training in the appropriate biblical languages before entering seminary in order to launch directly into biblical studies. For those desiring exemption from certain language courses, preliminary tests may be taken at registration in order to display the student’s level of proficiency.